Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cooking Up Something Good

I was busy cooking in the kitchen last weekend.  It's nice to have a few meals prepared ahead in case the week gets a bit hectic.  With a few appointments, interviews, cleaning, and sewing scheduled for week I knew stocking up on dinners would be good.

Saturday I used a recipe for Coq au Vin from Cooking in Cast Iron, a book I purchased at Sur la Table last week.

I started by sautéing onions, carrots, bacon, and garlic in olive oil, adding seasonings including Herbs De Provence, a new one for me.  Did you notice the cute little chicken sitting on the side of the French Oven??

It's not only adorable -- it's functional!!  I love it!  Another great find at Sur la Table!

While the vegetables were cooking I seasoned the cut up chicken pieces:

I removed the vegetables and then braised the chicken pieces, a few at a time so they wouldn't be crowded:

Next I added some dry white wine and organic chicken stock, and then the vegetables back in, and lastly some heavy cream (not in this pic).

While the Coq au Vin was cooking I made another recipe from that book for Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Onions.  What a great dinner!

Sunday I made another pot of The Pioneer Woman's Beef Stew.  My roommate seems to be enjoying my cooking -- every time I open up the leftover containers they seem to be disappearing.

No comments: