Monday, July 8, 2013

Turn, Turn, Turn

No, not the Ecclesiastes verses or song by The Byrds.  I've been doing a lot of garment construction over the past year or so.  One thing that always causes consternation:  making fabric tubes.  Whether they're for loops or straps, I've struggled to turn narrow tubes.  Not any more!

JoAnn Fabrics had a major sale on their notions last Sunday -- 60% off everything on the wall.  I foolishly thought I didn't need a shopping basket -- doh!  I found one and started collecting lots of fun things.  I picked up packages of elastic, magnetic snaps, disappearing ink pen, sew-on snaps, glass head pins, and more.  So far my favorite item is this:

I've been working on a dress for a special little girl and this item really came in handy.  Here are the particulars on using these Quick Turn gadgets from Dritz.

To practice using the turner, I started by cutting a rectangular piece of fabric, folding it in half and sewing down the long side and one of the short sides.  Sometimes I don't need the end sewn but I think from now on when necessary I'll just cut the piece a bit bigger so I can do it this way.


There are three sets of turners in the package:

  • 3/16" is used for  3/8" to 5/8" tubes 
  • 3/8" is used for 3/4" to 1" tubes
  • 1/2" is used for 1" or larger tubes.  
I used the 3/8" cylinder because I didn't bother to read the instructions and it seemed to fit.

Next, I inserted the 3/8" cylinder into the open end:

Once the cylinder reached the end seam, I inserted the wooden stick, pointed end first, where the end seam was and pushed it through the cylinder.

 It was unbelievably easy to turn the tube.  I will NEVER do it any other way again!!!!

Lastly, I used the stick to box the end of the tube out nicely.

And here is my 1/2" practice tube:

Ordinarily the Dritz Quick Turn is only $5.99 at JoAnn Fabrics, but I got it for $2.39.  Either way it's a bargain and if you don't have it, you NEED it if you ever sew straps or loops for anything!

Now back to my sewing machine....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

~ cool! ;-D

Unknown said...

Great gadget! I knew they existed, but kept using a safety pin. Will have to get one of these! thanks for sharing....