Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Focus, Time to Focus

I did something relatively very impulsive Monday after work.  I bought a new car.  Was I going to buy a car when I drove up to the Royal Oak Ford dealership, walked around, and then talked to the salesman named Evil?  Uh, no.  But I couldn't help myself.  Once I drove it, I had to have it.  And I drove it home at 10 PM.  Stunned.

It's a Ford Focus SEL Hatchback and it's loaded with fun stuff.  Important things for short middle aged women like me -- power seats... leather seats... heated seats.  Hmmm, guess I like the seats!  It's peppy, agile, corners great, with gas mileage twice what I was getting over the last 10 years -- and who isn't concerned about that these days.  It's super solid -- when you close the doors you don't have that cheap tin-y sound.  Active Park Assist (kind of like an automatic buttonholer), My Ford Touch with Sync (I love telling it to turn on the heat, change the radio stations, call someone), 17" wheels, and remote start also swayed my pocket book to open up.

I was just plain ready for something fun after years of driving a PT Cruiser followed by 3 different minivans.  Life is too short to drive blah vehicles.  And since I bought it instead of leasing, I can drive it all the way to the moon and back if I want to.  Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration but years of being tethered to a lease mileage limit left me hesitant to joy ride.

If you're in the neighborhood I'll give you a ride -- you'll love it too.

It's assembled down the road a bit in Wayne, MI.  Here's a video from the plant in case you've never seen an assembly plant.  They're assembling the sedan version of the Focus but you'll get the idea.

Ford Wayne Assembly plant

And here's a future Ford driver:
Denver is getting so big it won't be long before he IS driving.  Sigh......

3 comments:

harriet said...

Whoa! Can't believe you did this. Lovely car. Gee, sure you don't want to join us on the 24th to Bowling Green?

Hmmm, is this what happens when you can't knit for such a long time?

Enjoy, I know you will.

Anonymous said...

I agree, life is too short to drive blah vehicles! After decades of station wagons and mini vans, I LOVE tooling around in my mini! I know you will love your Focus!
~Joyce in MI

Tanya said...

When I taught driver's education we drove Focus--what is the plural of Focus?-- and I taught for awhile at Wayne Stamping and Assembly. . .even sat in Bill Ford's chair in the board room when I taught! I think you're going to love it, congrats.