Sunday, January 1, 2012

Almost Done

I have spent the last week working on my bedroom.  I know it's hard to believe but you have to trust me here.  I haven't just been working on my room.  You know how it is...you find something that belongs somewhere else, then you start working on that room, and before you know it -- bam!  The day is over.

Now I know I said I'd be brave and show you the before picture of my bedroom.  Believe me when I say I'm ashamed to admit it but sometimes it takes shame to straighten you out and knowing that I'd be accountable to you, I had to persevere.

Go ahead -- all of you gasp collectively now:

Stunning, isn't it?  Now most of the things on the bed came from the stacks on the floor, as I was sorting through all of the debris stuff.  I have a few more things to go through and then I'll take the after shot and post it here tomorrow.

One of my goals was to pare down all of the clothes in my drawers.  I took bags and bags of things over to the Salvation Army yesterday and it felt so good!  Then I took a bag of Yarn Market News magazines, two books, and two very, very old UFO knitting projects over to my friend Tanya.  The books were a bribe to get her to take on the two projects  :*)

Today I tackled the last of my drawers -- the dreaded sock drawer.  Scary sight:
I added a poll on the right so you can guess how many socks were in the drawer when I started.  I'll give you the after picture and actual count tomorrow!

I know you're shaking your head, wondering how in the world I could ever get to this point.  Simple.  I'm busy and I know how to close my bedroom door.  I just don't take the time I should to keep up on things, especially during my mad dash to knit up inventory for my Fall shows.  Stray bits of skeins of yarn dot my room, leftovers from hats, hats, and more hats knit up for shows.  This has been building up for years and years.  Not wanting to deal with it didn't make it go away, much as I would have liked.  Like a lot of the hoarders you see on TV, I have a hard time tossing things out.  I have sentimental attachments to so much of what I have.  I remember when I got it, who I got it from, why I got it.  I also have a tough time disposing of packages and containers that can be re-purposed in my mind.  Sending things to the dump when I can find a new use for them doesn't make sense in my head.  Logically, there's no reason to hang on to things but there's skewed logic in my thought  process.

I'm eager to finish this clean up and I'm already sleeping much more peacefully in my de-cluttered room.  I hope to never have to do this again but time will tell.

1 comment:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

This looks like my studio! I won't get to that until the summer! I know how bits of yarn can add up. What does one do with it? I hope you have gotten some organization going...then you'll be set to go on even more wonderful projects!
Courtney