Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mission Accomplished

Today I received a phone from my Mom, sounding pitiful and in need of help.  Not the usual stuff -- this time she could not access the Internet!  Imagine being 85 years old and not being able to go online!!  I told her to start with Comcast and see if they could provide the help.  Well, I'm sure she didn't express herself quite as well as you and I would, so she ended up speaking with someone she couldn't understand, who gave up on her.

I headed out there after finishing my chores and knitting up the second mitten for my friend at work.  When I got to the apartment, I sat down to dinner courtesy of Boston Market, and tried to ascertain what led up to her access problems.  I found out she does not have any virus protection -- going to rectify that, and might have opened an spam email by mistake.  I scolded her on both accounts and then headed to her desktop.  I tried several things before figuring out it was probably an issue with Comcast.  

I was in the middle of unplugging and re-plugging several wires when my Mom got disconnected from a phone call from my sister Carol.  Sorry 'bout that.  I'm sure she thought my Mom hung up on her.  Anyhow, I called Comcast, let them ping the router after resetting and it was determined that a service call was required. They'll be there tomorrow morning and hopefully my Mom will be back online by the afternoon.  Back to her emails, back to her Lexulous games with my sister Denise, and back to reading all about what's going on in the world.  And I told her to ask them to load their free virus protection so we won't have to worry about that again.

No comments: