Friday, July 29, 2011

You Never Forget

While it may be true that once you learn you never forget how to ride a bike, that doesn't necessarily mean it comes easily.  I took up cycling when I was going through my divorce, nearly 20 years ago.  I rode plenty as a youngster -- that's how we got where we wanted to go back then.  Then one day my nearly-ex husband started whistling the Wicked Witch of the West song as I rode past him and that was it -- I was determined to ride like the wind.  The year I was divorced I logged several thousand miles on my bike.  I completed a handful of metric century tours, which is 62 miles each, and even one full century ride - 100 miles.  I was so proud of myself.  But then, like Forrest Gump and his running, I just stopped riding.

No one will ever confuse me with a bicycle racer -- I never wanted to go fast, just far.

At the urging of my friend Mary, I took my nearly new but dusty, flat tired Trek bike in for a tune up.  I had only ridden it twice and the second time I came close to being hit by a van, crashed to the ground and broke the mirror on the handlebars.  I rode the bike home, put it in my neighbor's garage to gather dust, and didn't drag it out until Tuesday.  I brought it home tonight and took it for a spin.  After adjusting the seat and trying to re-familiarize myself with all of its nuances, I headed up my street.  One mile later and another near collision with an impatient car, I pulled back up to my neighbor's garage and set my bike in the corner.  I told Helen I'd be getting it out again, often I hope. 

I don't know if I want to do really long rides again but it could be just what I need to get in my daily exercise.  So far on the 17 Day Diet I've lost 12 pounds.  Which is really like 17 pounds because every time I go to Denise's on vacation I end up gaining 5 pounds.  I know, faulty reasoning, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

2 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Funny, I used to ride 15 miles a day when I was going through my divorce. That was about 14 years ago. I got really fit that way! I just started riding again a little bit. I no longer have the cool gear and shoes, but my muscles are starting to remember. It's much harder at age 49 though!!
Courtney

Anonymous said...

~happy biking & be safe! ;-D