Thursday, July 28, 2011

Oh How I Hate Change

Tomorrow is the last day for three members of my team at work plus one gal leftover from the Delphi Team.  I truly hate change.  I hate for people to lose their jobs.  I hate to lose their expertise.  Mostly I will hate not having them in my life.

To make matters worse, their replacements are no where near the same caliber.  Remember - you get what you pay for.  Cheaper is not always better.  As if this wasn't enough, the person I'm assigned to work with has me in a complete panic.  Several years ago I had a very unhappy period at work and now I'm afraid I'll be working alongside a person who is also a bad fit for their position.  The new person, like the old one, takes notes including word for word what is said, but does not absorb a single thought, asking the same question four times over, and still not registering what is said.  She does not 'own' her job and does not seem engaged.  It is déja vu all over again.  

I walked out to my car tonight, shaking my head, wondering how I can use the past experience to make the new one work better.  Since mine is a virtual job I don't have the luxury of being face to face to get my point across or to 'read' the other person for cues.  This will definitely be one of my biggest career challenges.  I just hope I'm up to it.

Oh Lord, give me strength and wisdom to make it through this.

No comments: