Saturday, June 11, 2011

Secret Mission

Ta-Daa -- Today I went to an open casting call for extras for a movie to be filmed in my area.  The specific need I thought I could fill was they needed people 4'10" and shorter for.......'Oz, the Great and Powerful', being directed by Sam Raimi and starring James Franco.

I don't think I've acted in anything since the second grade so I didn't have any particular expectations today.  I met a co-worker and together we stood in line for about an hour before we made it into the building:


They asked for people 6'6" and taller to go to one area, and those 4'9" and shorter to go to another spot.  I joined  the short people since they originally asked for 4'10" and shorter.  A casting director barked out the rules and what not for the extras, asking those in attendance how many had worked on previous films.  Many raised their hands and she remarked how enthusiastic she found Michiganians to be.  Too bad our governor wants to cut the tax incentives for film companies.  Many, many people have found work due to the various film production projects but oh well.

Ours was the second group of 400 prospects to be let in and there were many people yet to come through the door.  They need 6000 extras with 1000 to be costumed.  I stand a good chance of getting picked but I have to get a head shot off to them soon.  Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike photos of me???  Ugh.

I spent nearly 3 hours today at Macy's and Nordstrum's, then Macy's again, searching for a dress to wear to my niece Carla's wedding next month.  Double Ugh.  There's something about shopping for clothes that can just absolutely kill a good mood.  For one thing, the temperature in dressing rooms needs to be about 50º.  Not one degree higher.  I sweat like a pig in dressing rooms and it does absolutely nothing for my perception of how I look.  Another thing -- don't you think they'd sell more clothing if the mirror made you appear smaller than you are?  They use that technology on the side view mirrors of cars -- why not dressing rooms????

Anyway, after trying on no fewer than 25 dresses, I gave up.  How I wish I'd been able to get back into the gym and lose 20 30 40 pounds before now but I haven't and now I have to face the music.  I look and feel bad.  There....I said it.  It makes me sad.  Not sure what can be done in the 5 weeks leading up to the wedding but it's time to get on the stick.  Time to pump up the flat tires on my bike.  Time to get in some walking before I can start weaving or knitting each day.  It's just time.

No comments: