Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sadness

Last Saturday my friend Tanya and I ventured to the other side of the state for a wet felting workshop.  It was held in the small town of Plainwell, population approximately 4000.  I heard on the news today that a soldier was killed on Monday in Afghanistan.  He hailed from Plainwell and was an only child.  Every soldier's death is sad but especially when it's an only child.  His unit, the 25th Infantry, was based out of Schofield Barracks on the north shore of Oahu.  That's the very same base where my brother in law Tim served nearly 40 years ago.

Four years ago last week, a good friend's daughter, her only child, was killed by a drunk driver.  I always feel bad sharing stories about my kids with her, knowing she'll never experience her daughter's college graduation or  wedding, or become a grandmother.  As is often said, no parent should ever have to bury their child.  Ever.

No comments: