Monday, January 31, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

Today I cut out the wool for the applique jacket I'm sewing from scratch.  I'm using a fabulous piece of Donna Karan's coat-weight black wool -- can you say 'yummy'?!  I knew you wouldn't be excited about the color, hence no photos, but oh, if only you could feel this fine fabric.

I've determined the applique designs but now I have to pick the felted wools from my wool closet:





Nearly all of the pieces above were hand dyed by either Kris Miller, some ebay gals, or myself.  Six years ago I dyed about 20 yards of wool using natural dyes (with the help of several Chicken friends).  Here are two tubs of them:


And here's one more roll of wool that I bought at my favorite quilt shop, Mabelena's in Ortonville:

I didn't even photograph the bags of recycled wool that could find their way into this project.  It's easy to see how difficult the selection process is after you've seen all this wonderful wool, right?  I'll have to sleep on it.

1 comment:

janet said...

What a luscious assortment to choose from!