Saturday, July 10, 2010

Slouchy Hat?

This afternoon I looked for a pattern on Ravelry to use the Marr Haven yarn I got the other day.  The skein has 210 yards to it so I could choose just about any adult hat pattern.  I decided on the Slouchy Copy Cat Hat (click on the link if you're a member of Ravelry -- if you don't know what Ravelry is leave me a comment!) because it called for 18 stitches to 4" -- the same as the yarn band.

As usual I knit up a gauge swatch -- stop groaning -- and discovered I needed to go down a needle size to get gauge.  I set up my chair out on the porch, brought out the radio for the Tigers game, and an iced cold Peach Tea, and got to work.  The pattern was easy enough, just a four row repeat once the 2x2 ribbing was done.  I think the decreases are too severe at the top but after looking at some of the other hat patterns on Ravelry it looks to be right.  The yarn knits up nicely with plenty of lanolin left in it so my hands are definitely softer tonight. I wouldn't say I'm in love with the yarn but it is nice.

Here's a close up of the stitch pattern:

I'm going to wash it tonight and see if it softens up and becomes more 'slouchy'.  Tomorrow I think I'll cast on the wool I found last Saturday at My Craft Room.  It will be a whole lot softer to knit with -- now I just have to decide on a pattern....

1 comment:

janet said...

I love that pattern, it has such great texture. Thanks for sharing it, going to print it now!