Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Charlevoix Circle of Arts



One of the interesting things I did while I was visiting Charlevoix last weekend was view the fiber and furniture exhibit at the Charlevoix Circle of Arts.  There were a lot of beautiful quilts on display and most were for sale.  Here are a few of my favorite pieces -- be sure to click on the pictures to see the detail:














My Chicken friends will recognize a couple of Kat Campau's pieces (notice there's no netting???) and the tree quilt used Kat's technique of placing netting over the loose pieces before quilting it down.  I loved the quilt with the glass leaves attached to the branches.  Since I visited Scotland a few years ago, I'm partial to the Thistle quilt too.

If you have a chance to visit northern Michigan (or live up there Jackie/Diane/Joyce) make sure you get over to see the exhibit.  It's free and runs until September 18th.  Kathie Briggs is the featured artist and has many beautiful pieces, including the crane heron at the top of the post, on display.

If you read the blogs in my list on the left you may recognize the last quilt above which was made by Frieda Anderson.  Frieda showed the techniques used to make the barn, rows of crops, and the trees, on a fairly recent blog post.

The Circle of Arts is a budding center and this exhibit definitely showcased the local talent.  I hope the community continues to support their efforts so visitors like me can enjoy the area's wonderful talents.

1 comment:

janet said...

Glad you had a good trip:) The quilts on exhibit are amazing work, I really like the heron in the first one, and the red hibiscus. Just lovely!!