Saturday, July 3, 2010

Huh?

Since this is a long holiday weekend for those of us in the U.S. many people head for vacation homes, plan picnics, or just hang out with friends and family.  Kevin headed up north to visit Holly & Mike.  I took advantage of the quiet house to color my hair.  No interruptions to a messy task.

Once done, I called my Mom to see if she wanted to meet for hot dogs at Lipuma's in Rochester.  'Oh boy, that sounds great' was her response, so we agreed to meet at noon.  When I got to the restaurant I parked beside her car.  I have to say I was flabbergasted when I walked into the restaurant.  Not only was she seated at a table already but had her food and was already biting into her hot dog.  I looked at the time on my cell phone and it was 12:02.  Guess she couldn't wait.  Not sure why I needed to be there.  It felt really odd.  Whatever.

I must have been annoyed because I didn't have much to say.  We had talked a few days ago on the phone and were pretty much caught up anyway.  I tossed my garbage and waited for her to finish.  She actually ate two hot dogs plus her fries and a lemonade -- quite a hearty lunch for her.  When we got up to leave she took her tray over to the garbage and dumped the whole thing in -- tray included.  I couldn't believe what I had seen so I said 'Mom, you didn't dump the tray in too, did you?'  She looked a bit confused and said 'Oh, I think I did' and pulled the tray out through the garbage receptacle opening.  I think she was embarrassed because there were people standing right there who saw what had happened.  10 years ago she would have laughed it off.  It felt really, really odd.

We parted ways and I decided as long as I was driving 30+ miles for this outing I would stop at nearby Skeins on Main to see what was new or on sale.  After looking around a bit I limited my purchase to sale yarn and a cute notepad:

They'll be having sidewalk sales there in a couple of weeks so I didn't want to get anything that wasn't on sale today.

Next I stopped at My Craft Room in Troy and picked up a few more skeins to use to make more hats:

I tried to shop at a third store but was rebuffed by the employee who announced she had a hard stop of 3 PM, when the sign on the door said 4 PM.  It was 2:52 PM so I just left.  Not naming the store and probably won't be back either.

I didn't have anything in the fridge for dinner so I decided to eat out.  I wanted Italian but the restaurant was closed so I went to a pub restaurant instead.  I felt a little wacky so I ordered something new to me -- a Mexican Quesadilla Burger:
It was delicious and so big I brought half of it home.  Each time I've been to Rosie O'Grady's the food has been super.

I finished the evening by sitting out on my front porch, listening to the Tigers' game and knitting on my entrelac bag.  I'm about 3/4 done and should be able to finish it tomorrow and post the pre-felted pictures.  Next up are some hats made with the yarn I purchased today.

My next door neighbor is worse than a kid.  He torments Maggie and gets her barking up a storm and running through my flower beds.  He has a fabulous yard and probably gets some perverse pleasure out of seeing my feeble attempts destroyed.  Then he was setting off fireworks (illegal ones I'm sure) so I shut all the windows and turned on the air conditioning.  Ugh.  Can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings.

3 comments:

Eddie said...

Both the yarn and meal look yummy!

harriet said...

Boy, I agree with Eddie. I'm getting hungry looking at the picture and the yarn looks pretty good also!

My dogs were going nuts last night til about 1:30 or so with the firecrackers going off. If I could only get my hands on whoever was setting them off . . .

Have a wonderful 4th. Don't think I'll be knitting tomorrow night.
See 'ya Tuesday?

Suzanne said...

It's going to be a super busy day at work on Tuesday -- I'll need some knitting time to recuperate!