Monday, May 3, 2010

Taking the Bus

There are a lot of interesting people who take the bus.  They're going to different places but all on the same bus.  Walmart, the bar, work, school, or like me, Panera's to knit with my friend Harriet.  It's such an odd concept.  Not like the school bus where the only places you could go would be home or school.

There are even 'odd' people who don't take the bus.  No, I'm not talking about you.  I'm talking about the homeless man who appears to 'live' at the Royal Oak bus station.  Why is he there?  Heaven only knows.  Why don't the police do something about him?  You're going to have to ask them.  He's got about 15 white plastic bags surrounding his bench and in the morning when it's cold, he's got a large tarp thrown over himself and his belongings.  I don't want to even think about his bathroom needs.  He's there in the morning when my bus rolls through the station and he's there in the afternoon when I return.

Harriet was kind enough to drive me up to the bus stop so I wouldn't have to walk about 3/4 of a mile, with the skies threatening more rain.  I had used up the yarn I had brought with me to knit the Oyster 4x1 ribbed hat so I just listened to the stories of people's days and where they were going.  One man asked me what cell phone service I had.  I have one of the simplest, cheapest out there -- Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go.  I couldn't text if my life depended on it.  Not my bag.  I rarely use my phone -- just ask my kids.  Consequently, I wasn't much help to the other bus rider.

As I walked up to my house I noticed something wonderful -- Kevin had mowed the yard.  No whining, bitching or moaning required on my part.  Since we're expecting rain off and on all week, it was quite fortuitous on his part.  Left me shaking my head......

No comments: