Friday, May 28, 2010

Lucky Day

Today was a late start day for me -- I didn't need to be in the office until 10 AM.  I lounged a bit, took a shower, and got myself ready to catch the 9:18 AM bus.  As I hurried to dress I could hear Maggie barking like a mad woman outside.  I 'thanked' Kevin for not bringing her in and opened the back door only to see her planted right in the middle of my Lavender plants.  I called her in and headed for the front door.

As I walked out the door I saw two neighbor women who announced to me that they had seen a skunk on the side of my house and THAT was what Maggie was barking at.  I am so fortunate that she didn't get sprayed by the skunk.  Holy cow, would that have messed up my day.  The neighbor said she had already called the police since the word was out that rabid skunks were roaming the streets of Royal Oak.

I zipped along to the bus stop and called Kevin to warn him not to put Maggie in the backyward and to keep an eye out for the police.

Surprise, surprise.  He missed all of the action.  Apparently the police did come by, peered into my backyard and my next door neighbor said she heard two gunshots.  Not sure where the deed was done, but I'm hopeful there was only the one skunk. 

This of course made for a good excuse for Kevin to not mow the lawn, since he never heard the gunshots.  Tomorrow we'll both be busy in the backyard as I've got to get a handle on some nasty weeds.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

better a rapid skunk than a rabid one. . . :-)That way they can get away from Maggie and not have to spray her!

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne said...

Yikes -- that WAS supposed to be rabid. Lucky I didn't get sprayed either!