Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Grocery Cart Woman

This morning I headed out of the house to work, paczki in hand.  I stopped at the gas station first since I was under a quarter tank.  While pumping my gas I noticed this homeless woman that I've seen pushing a grocery cart around the streets of Royal Oak.  I've seen her hobbling down the sidewalks for several years now.  Today she was bundled up against the elements, searching through the trash receptacles for returnable bottles and cans.  I have often wondered what happened in her life that led her to the streets.  She looks to be in her late forties, like me, but sometimes living on the streets ages you so who knows.  I can't imagine pushing everything I own around in a grocery cart.

If you have a chance please check out this video. Born Again American.org  I think you'll find it moving and possibly inspiring.  It's time for all of us to be the change we wish to see in the world, as Mr. Gandhi once said.   My friend Kathy sent it to me and of course it made tears well up in my eyes.

No comments: