Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mistakes

In knitting, when you find you've made a mistake you have to decide if it's something you can live with or not. Sometimes it's no big deal and other times it's something you'd see every time you wear it. Much like that annoying nail hole in the wall that you should have filled in with putty before painting.
Tonight at stitch group I had the unfortunate occurrence of dropping my stitches off the needle tips while I was trying to measure my Hoodie Tunic. It was only then that I realized I had two extra stitches. Not a problem, I thought, I can always use an extra 1/2 inch around!
There were several instances of people reverse knitting, though. This is also known as 'tink'ing (that's 'knit' spelled backwards) and frogging (rip it, rip it). Harriet had ripped back a few inches of her February Lady sweater, Chris unraveled her lacy wrap, and Sally had issues with her Fair Isle sweater. No one wanted to live with their mistakes and since all of their projects were beautiful, they shouldn't.
I work with someone who says making mistakes is okay as you as you don't repeat them. She's not a knitter but I think that her rule works for those of us who are fiber fiends, too.

No comments: