Monday, March 16, 2009

I knit, therefore I swatch

Gauge, gauge, gauge. You must knit to gauge. I've been felting so much the last few years where you knit loosely on purpose, that I've really found the only way to get a garment to fit is to knit a gauge swatch. I generally have to go down 2 needle sizes to achieve the correct gauge and the Hoodie Tunic I started tonight is no exception.

I began swatching last night, just before before bed, using the recommended size 9 needles. My reasoning was that the yarn was a bit heavier than the pattern called for so maybe, just maybe I could use the size 9 needles. Oh no. I then switched to size 8, still not knitting to 4 stitches to the inch. Have I learned nothing? Now why didn't I just go down to size 7 needles? Tonight I switched to size 7s and voila -- 4 stitches to the inch! It's a beautiful thing.

This sweater is knit from the top down, one of my favorite techniques. It's especially good because you can try it on as you go and make it just the right length. Perfect for someone of my diminutive stature.

I've only got it done to the point where you do a buttonhole so I'll post a picture tomorrow once I've gotten past that point. Plus I'm tired and bedtime is calling me.

No comments: